Sunday, January 25, 2009

GRANDPA STRAIGHT


My Great Grandpa, Francis Marion Straight, came to live with us when I was three years old and stayed until his death in 1938. He was a veteran of the Civil War, having enlisted at St. Louis, Missouri, in the 23rd Missouri Infantry, Company E, at the tender age of 17. I have vivid memories of him. He wasn’t very tall but stood ramrod straight. He had a beard and goatee. His hair was pure white. His eyesight was failing which caused him to do some funny things.
The house was lacking most of the paint and the rusty nail heads on the siding were easy to see. Grandpa would sit on the porch, raise his trusty fly swatter, Whack the nail head and exclaim, "I got ‘im"! He would also get ahold of the hoe and proceed to the garden where any thing he approached was a weed. Grandma had to replant vegetables a lot. He received a government pension for his wartime service. He chewed Sweet Mist chewing tobacco and smokee cigars. One time he sent my Sister and I downtown to get him tobacco and cigars and told us to also bring him some candy. We got the right tobacco and the right cigars but messed up by bringing him BB Bats, a candy on a stick which melted and stuck to your teeth.. He got the sucker stuck in the few teeth he had and Carolyn and I weren’t very popular with him for awhile.
As I look back, the fact that I knew and could talk to someone who was there about the Civil war was an education in itself. I can still see him, sitting in the living room, my Grandpa Abbott on the drum and my Aunt on the piano, playing Civil War songs like Marching Through Geoirgia and Tramp, Tramp,Tramp the boys are marching and others while Grandpa Straight would tap his can in time to the music.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Wow...I never knew about Great-Great-Great Grandpa Straight!! :) What neat memories you have of him!

love you!

Kathy said...

This is awesome! I kept thinking whilst reading how Doug would have loved this story :)

I loved this and laughed a couple of times, needing to laugh tonight!

I am so glad you are posting...please keep it up these are priceless!

I love you

Anonymous said...

Grandpa,
This post was fantastic! Every memory you write about, makes me feel like I'm standing in it with you. The flies and veggies cracked me up. Love you!

Eric Michael Burke said...

Hi! My great-great-great grandfather was Martin Straight, Francis' older brother (by two years). They were all in Company E of the 23rd Missouri together, but Martin was captured at Shiloh (and later parolled). I wonder if you recall Francis ever mentioning his brothers or siblings, particularly Martin?

Thanks again for the wonderful memories!

All the best,
Eric Burke
xv40rds@gmail.com