Friday, January 2, 2009

THE SAGA OF THE TWO HOLER

When I was a boy, living in the little town of Imogene, Iowa, our bathroom facilities were down the hill, away from the house. In the summer time, although lime was spread, it didn’t take care of the horrific smell. In the winter, it was a horse of another color. When you opened the door and gazed at the holes, you became accutely aware that jack frost was there. There was a frost ring around each hole and, in order to do the thing you came to do, you had to drop your pants and melt the frost ring and grab for the Sears and Roebuck or MontgomeryWard catalog. This a lasting memory, not only to my mind, but also to my behind.

6 comments:

Liz said...

Yipes! That'd be a little chilly to the cheeks, now wouldn't it! :)

I'm glad you're still posting - keep it up!

love you!!

Tony and Lisa said...

Oh, my, I wish you had a picture to add to this post. :)
Good posting, Dad!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOVE IT! Keep 'em coming! I love you, Uncle Charles!

Kathy said...

When I was a girl we didn't have indoor plumbing either, till I was about 6 wow! This brought it all back! We have come a long way! ha

Love you!

Robbyn said...

this is great! one more thing to be thankful for since i can't stand being cold!! :)
love you Uncle Charles!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Grandpa you are hysterical! It makes me think to not whine when my very handy indoor plumbing, heat/ac or car aren't working the way I want them to. We are so very spoiled now. Love you!