Sunday, January 11, 2009

INTEGRATION OF THE ARMED FORCES


In 1948 and 1949 I was stationed on the island of Guam. It was during this time that President Truman signed Exuctive Order 9981 which entegrated the armed forces.
We were told to report en-masse to the outdoor theatre on the base. We had no inkling what was in store for us.
Our commanding General took the stage and told us, in no uncertain terms what was in store for us. He informed us that when we woke up in the morning there may be a black soldier sleeping next to you, when you go to chow there may be a black soldier eating next to you and when you go to work there may be a black soldier working next to you.
As we left the theatre I overheard the men from the south planning for a riot the next morning. I was really scared. I went to bed knowing that the next day may be my last on earth.
I awoke the next morning and anticipating mayhem, I was overjoyed to see that everything was normal with no riot.
I contend, that had there been a forewarning of integration to take place sometime in the future, things would not have gone as smooth as they did.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow! Never did I think about this!

I am so glad you woke up to no riot, and it wasn't your last day on earth :)

Tony and Lisa said...

I'm so proud of you for figuring out how to post pictures! You are sooo computer savvy!
I'm so glad God protected you that night so you could be my dad. :)
I love you,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to get up and read something new today! Thanks for sharing this with us...i can't even imagine!!!! I love you!