Sunday, January 18, 2009

REGRETS

Today, perusing my mind for something to think about, I thought of the word regret.
As I think about those things I regret the most, I guess the number one regret I have is not finishing my education by going to college. For years, I have used numerous excuses as to why I didn’t go to college, but had I had the desire, I know I could have achieved that goal.
The second thing that comes to mind is something that happened quite a while ago but I will never be able to make it right.
My Mom was in a nursing home for eleven years.
We had set up a time on every Saturday when I would call her. She had no phone in her room, so had to get in her wheel chair and go to the office and await my call. One Saturday I completely forgot about the call. When I realized it, from that time on,I have a mental picture of her waiting for my call. She forgave me but this is something I regret to this day.

3 comments:

Tony and Lisa said...

Dad,
I know Grandma understood why you didn't call her that night. She was a very busy woman in her day!!

And I'm glad you didn't go to college because you may not have had me!

God doesn't want us to live with regret but only with "godly sorrow" that brings about repentance that leads us to salvation. (2 Corinthians 7:10)Jesus wants to take care of it all. He loves you so much. And so do I!

Revelation 21:2-4 says this about our future in Heaven: “And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Behold the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

I look forward to that day!

With much love,
Lisa

Kathy said...

Oh yes! I second what Lisa says!!!!

There are times in my days when I start down 'if only' street. but before I get too far I stop and say I cannot go back and change anything in the past, so I refuse to take that road. I can, however change my future by the choices - good I hope- that I make today. That is what I choose to concentrate on.

I love you!

Anonymous said...

Gramps, going to college isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's a great thing now, this day in age, but you are a great man who has accomplished much. And I'm sure, as everyone else has said, grandma probably didn't think a thing of it. When someone forgives you, you need to forgive yourself. :) Regrets don't help anyone, they just bring us down. Love you!