Wednesday, May 20, 2009

OCTOGENARIAN



I am, as of today, an Octogenarian. This means that I have lived on this earth for eighty years since May 20 1929. I was born at my Grandpa and Grandma Stuelkes house in Nashua Iowa at eight oclock in the morning.
I have seen a lot of changes since I was born. From the Depression to World War 2, with rationing of meat and sugar and gas, and seeing collections of aluminum, grease and cloth for bandages to be sent to the battlefront.
After graduating from High School I enlisted in the Air Force in 1948 and served on Guam, Japan, Korea and France as well as in the United States.
After heing discharged from the service I returned to Cedar Rapids and took a job with American Tobacco
After two years, I started working as a painter for my Dad and went on my own and painted for over 20 years,.
When building slowed down in the 1980;s I opened up a consignment store which Mary and I ran for 22 years before we retired..
My life has given me much satisfaction and happiness. I met my wife Mary in Nashua and together we have lived almosts 50 years. This marriage is blessed wisth 5 children. Mary brought to the marriage two wonderful children in Steve and Linda and we were blessed to have three more, John and Lisa at the same time and Wendy shortly afterward.
Our children are now grown and we have grandchildren who are the light of our life.
I never thought I would live this longbut I am very happy that I am here.

8 comments:

J-Funk said...

Wow you really set a good example Grandpa. I hope I am as happy as you are when I'm eighty! Those are great pictures too. I never realized how much Ian looks like you. I bet John did too.

I am also very impressed that you are breaking so many generation barriers by being on Facebook and blogging. You are more technologically savvy than some of your children (hem)!! We better all watch out because next thing you will start texting and twittering!

Liz said...

Loved your post :) What great blessings you have seen....and how incredible to be a part of as much history as you were! That's awesome! :) I pray your birthday is blessed with sweet times with friends and family. :) Wish I could see you this weekend! Have fun!

Tony and Lisa said...

Dad,
You are an inspiration to me. I remember so many times you told me you didn't think you'd live to see me get married, have grandchildren, etc. but here you are today...80! God has been very good and faithful to our family.
And yes, Josie, Ian looks VERY much like Grandpa used to!!
I love you,
Lisa

Kathy said...

I am so glad you posted this and put the pictures up too! I love looking at the family resemblances through the generations what an awesome thing!

The one of you and Doug made me miss him again, pretty common thing these days :(

I am glad you are still here! You and Mary have a wonderful family, God has truly blessed you all!

I love you!

jkmantz said...

what a great post! thanks for sharing the memories and times you had growing up! have a great day!

Robbyn said...

What a great post! thank you for sharing! i love the photos too!! :)

i love you Uncle Charles!

Anonymous said...

Gramps,
Your post was fantastic! I have to chime in and say how uncanny it is that Ian does look like you! I always saw the resemblance with dad and the boys, but wow! He'll grow up to be a handsome man, just like you. I'm so proud to have you as my grandpa and so glad God has blessed us by you living to see Liz and Josie get married, and hopefully you'll be here for years to come with great grandbabies :) I love you. Happy birthday!
<3 Meg

Kathy said...

Missing your posts, hope all is well

I love you!