Sunday, May 10, 2009

MY MOM


My Mom was Ruth Charlotte Abbott Stuelke Hentsch. She was born in Imogene, Iowa on April 13 1905 and died January 3 1997 at Villisca, Iowa. She was 92 years old.
Mom attended Iowa State Teachers College in Cedar Falls and acquired her teaching certificate. She taught for one year before marrying Wendell Stuelke June 30 1928. They were divorced in 1941 and she married Martin Hentsch July 28 1945.
She taught school at Fredrika Fredriksburg,Iowa Imogene, Iowa Union, Iowa Randolph, Iowa Clarinda Iowa and Villisca, Iowa. Mom furthered her ecucation by attending The University of Southern California and the University of Nebraska at Omaha. She received her Bachelor of Science degree and spent the last years of her teaching as Principal of the grade schools in Villisca,.
My Mom was a people person. After retiring, she spent most of her time volunteering. I lived with my Mom until I was 15 and then I went to live with my Dad through the rest of High School.
My Mom spent the last ten years of her life in a nursing home in Villisca. She kept up with every happening in town and enjoyed life even though she was in the nursing home.
Fortunately my sister, Carolyn lived near the nursing home and visited Mom at the nursing home every day. I never heard my Mom complain.
On this Mother’s Day I remember my Mom and all the things she taught me. She was a wonderful lady.

7 comments:

Tony and Lisa said...

I loved and admired Grandma Ruth. She was an amazing woman and a great Grandmother to me!
Love you Dad,
Lisa

Liz said...

Awesome post, Grandpa. :) I remember going to visit her in the nursing home and playing piano for her and Carolyn...what wonderful memories!! And I love the old pictures!! I can totally see a resemblance between Mom and Great Grandma Ruth! Cool! :) love you so much!

Kathy said...

This is a wonderful tribute to the great woman who was your Mother. I wish I could have known her better and longer. She was always so kind to me. I cherish the memories I have of her.

The pictures are great! I love to see the family resemblances!

I love you!

jkmantz said...

i see the resemblance too! Glad you gave fond memories of your mom for mother's day. what a nice tribute.
love you!

Sheila said...

YESS! I see the resemblance, too! Family is such a neat thing! Love reading your posts!

Girl Detective said...

Thanks for the post, Dad. I think of Grandma Ruth often and would love to compare stories with her about being a school administrator!

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late on the commenting...but just wanted you to know how sweet it is that you wrote about your mom on mother's day...Wish I could have known her as much as you did. Love you!