Saturday, April 4, 2009

MY FIRST JOB IN THE MILITARY


After joining the Army Air Force in February of 1948 I was sent to Lackland Air Base in San Antonio Texas for basic training. I remember I was assigned to Squadron BN 7, Flight 2815. Basic training was 13 weeks.
After basic training I was to report to Camp Stoneman, California after a delay in route at home.
I reported to Camp Stoneman and was assigned to the Far East Air Force un-assigned which meant I was going overseas but didn’t know where or what I would be doing.
I shipped out of San Francisco on a troop ship and 13 days later found myself in a replacement depot on the island of Guam.
I watched the bulletin board often to see where I was going and what I was going to do.
I learned I was going to Harmon Air Base and my job classification would be 970-C. No one at the depot knew what 970-C meant. I was taken up to Harmon Air Base where I learned I would be an instsructor in the Link Trainer.
The Link Trainer was used to teach pilots instrument flying and to keep them proficient in instrument flying . The trainer consisted of what looked like a small airplane for the pilot and a desk with a device that tracked on a map the progress of the pilot on a particular mission.
The trainer in use at the time was designated ANT-18. I instructed on this trainer during my 15 months on Guam and then on a newer Link Trainer when I returned toi the States.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

LOVE this! I never knew any of this so it's great to read today!

The pictures are wonderful! Keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Grandpa,
All those unknowns in the AF would have driven me mad if it were me! I'm so glad I had a certain job once basic started...but that trip to Japan threw me for a loop! :D lol! Love you. miss you!
<3 Meg