Friday, February 27, 2009

MY DAD'S FAVORITE PASTIME


My Dad was most happy when he was fishing or hunting. He especially enjoyed going fishing or hunting with people from his home town of Nashua, Iowa.
The top picture shows him after hunting geese with John Emmons and Billy Cook. Bill Cook was a jockey who rode at race tracks all over the country. I always heard that Johnny Emmons flew a light plane under the railroad bridge in Nashua.
The picture on the lower right shows my Dad holding a fish and Hod Strike, his brother in law cleanilng fish back of 2911 Oakoand Road in Cedar Rapids.
The picture on bottom left shows my Dad with a fellow I don’t recognize, holding up a stringer of northern pike..
My Dad could skin a squirrel faster than anyone I ever have seen do it. When I was in high school we always had fish or game in abundance.
My Dad was always ready to go fishing or hunting.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Thanks for sharing your memories of Great Grandpa, I never knew he loved to hunt and fish so much!! And how cool to see the pictures!! Thank you!

Kathy said...

These pictures are great! Oh how I miss your Dad! He was such a great guy, I know where you and Doug got being great guys from :)

Anonymous said...

i love the photos, too! thanks for sharing...i know where i get my love for fishing, that's for sure! Love you!

J-Funk said...

How many people have you seen skin a squirrel??

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures grandpa, and am glad I can say I've never seen a squirrel be skinned! :D love you!